It’s no secret that the skin loses elasticity with age. It is primarily explained due to the fact that the body reduces the natural production of proteins responsible for these qualities. They include elastin and collagen. Microneedling allows you to hide age-related changes and significantly rejuvenate the areas that are affected. Patients are often concerned about the question: what is dermal needling in simple words. Let’s figure it out together.
What is Microneedling?
In modern cosmetology, new technologies are constantly being used. They can significantly improve the condition of the skin subject to age-related changes. Among them is the Microneedling, which is also called collagen induction therapy. Certain areas are exposed to small needles that have undergone sterile treatment. The method is performed on the face in most cases. However, it can be applied to any part of the body. Recently, this method has justified itself for the treatment of stretch marks after pregnancy.
What problems are solved with it:
- get rid of age-related changes that worsen the appearance of the skin (flabbiness, wrinkles, partial atrophy);
- fight against large pores;
- various pigmentation disorders;
- removal of scars, including defects that appeared after post-acne.
The therapeutic effect is explained by cosmetologists quite simply. Remember what happens when you accidentally damage your skin: cut yourself or get hurt. The body begins to produce new cells to help the wound heal faster.
After impact with microneedles, healthy cells are formed in the deep layers of the epidermis. Also, collagen and elastin are produced in the dermis, which give it elasticity and a tactile pleasant smooth texture. Collagen is lost not only with age. This also happens after serious surgical interventions, when scars or stretch marks form on its surface.
The patient’s face is treated with a dermaroller with needles with a diameter of 0.5-2.5 mm. Points from injections form on the surface of the face. The body strives for self-healing, as a result of which collagen is produced, giving the skin elasticity and a healthy appearance.
Collagen-inducing therapy is considered far from a new method. It was first used in 1995 to remove scars after surgery. Over time, microneedling began to help get rid of various problems. At first glance, the procedure may seem unnecessarily traumatic. However, according to patients, it is absolutely painless.
Cosmetologists assure that the needles do not penetrate into the deep layers of the dermis.
They affect only at the surface level. Below its steps for a more detailed introduction are given:
- To begin with, the specialist must determine whether the procedure is necessary for the patient, and whether it is the best solution for the problem. It will require an initial consultation. The doctor will examine the problem location, tell you about possible complications, and what needs to be done to avoid them.
- Before the therapy, the doctor will anesthetize the area where the needles are supposed to be exposed. For these purposes, a local anesthetic is used. The drug will make the procedure as comfortable as possible.
- The cosmetologist performs a thorough cleansing of the area. If this stage is not carried out, bacteria will remain in the pores, which can lead to the appearance of an inflammatory process both in the epidermis and in the deep layers.
- With the help of a special dermaroller or other device that is used in a cosmetology clinic, a cosmetologist affects certain parts of the face. It is important to understand that the depth of penetration of needles can be adjusted by a specialist depending on the skin thickness of a particular patient and such characteristics as the level of scarring.
- The final stage involves the application of serum. It contains components for maximum hydration, vitamin C, minerals that promote rapid healing of microtrauma. As practice shows, the serum increases the effectiveness of the procedure and accelerates the recovery process.
Why is Microneedling Treatment Done?
Collagen-inducing therapy is considered an effective facial rejuvenation method. Exposure to the dermis with the help of microneedles is an easy way to renew the face at the cellular level. Thanks to it, you can stop the appearance of aging signs and get rid of unaesthetic defects forever.
The therapeutic session stimulates the synthesis of collagen, due to which the face looks younger, radiant and healthy. It affects the change of scars and causes the appearance of new cells that reduce the amount of acne. In addition, traces of severe sunburn, marks after surgery, spots that appeared as a result of hyperpigmentation disappear from the dermis surface.
Just imagine that one method can not only rejuvenate the dermis, but also affect the changes that occur within a few months after it.
Benefits of Microneedling
Cosmetologists recommend collagen-inducing therapy, because it is considered gentle and is characterized by high efficiency. Among the advantages the following things should be noted:
- the overall condition of the skin improves: the number of wrinkles visually decreases, the texture becomes more pleasant to the touch;
- pigmented spots lighten;
- there is a restoration of blood flow due to the renewal of capillaries, including in the area of former scars;
- a decrease in the activity of the sebaceous glands leads to less acne formation;
- Atrophic scars are significantly reduced, the skin covers become more even and smooth.
Speaking about the improvement of the condition of the areas affected by microneedles, cosmetologists mean not only the appearance, but also cite as evidence the results of clinical and histological studies.
Who needs Microneedling?
Due to a special method of exposure without laser technology, collagen-inducing therapy is considered safe for different skin types. It is recommended to everyone without exception who wants to get rid of shallow wrinkles or unaesthetic scars. And also its usage is popular with those who have suffered from acne for a long time. Patients do not experience painful sensations. The operation does not take much time. Cosmetologists also advise taking advantage of the opportunity to clean heavily clogged pores with the help of acupuncture.
However, there are a number of contraindications that must be observed. It is not recommended:
- during pregnancy;
- in the presence of open wounds;
- patients who are currently undergoing radiation therapy (or have undergone it in the recent past);
- in the presence of eczema or keloid-type scars;
- women taking medications that dilute the blood.
In the presence of alcohol dependence, the procedure may also be unsafe for the body. Alcoholic beverages can cause dehydration, which affect the low efficiency of the method.
Risks & Side Effects of a Microneedling Procedure
Cosmetologists note a low probability of side effects. The most common of them is the appearance of redness in the places of exposure to microneedles. In addition, the appearance of an allergic reaction can be caused by serum, which is applied at the final stage. Therefore, before carrying out the procedure, it is necessary to test on a small area of the skin.
Within a few days after visiting the clinic, there may be a slight redness on the face as a result of a long stay in the sun. There may also be small traces of injections, but they themselves will pass within a few days.
Also, for a few days, the impact zone may seem excessively tight, slightly swollen or dry. She may develop hypersensitivity. These effects pass after a full recovery. It will take no more than one week.
How to Prepare for Microneedling
There are no special instructions for preparing. However, to achieve maximum effect, the following recommendations should be:
- Do not use the medications accutane and tretinoin six months before the planned therapy.
- Exclude the use of exfoliants 7 days before the treatment.
- Laser exposure can also be harmful – do not visit the cosmetologist’s office for this purpose 2 weeks before the appointed date.
- Do not take a sunbath for a month.
- Exclude taking ibuprofen 3 days before the intended session.
After Getting Microneedling Treatment
Despite the fact that the method is considered gentle, the dermis after it requires special care. This allows you to see the result in the near future. Follow the recommendations of the doctor who conducted the therapy. Among the general tips are:
- Exclude exposure to direct sunlight – this protects the face from the appearance of burns on sensitive areas. When going outside, use a special cream.
- It is advisable not to visit pools and lakes with standing water during the week. An infection can get into the puncture wounds, which causes the onset of the inflammatory process.
- Do not wipe with ice cubes – the inflammation may increase.
- Touch your face only with clean hands.
- The use of cosmetics is contraindicated during the day after the session.
- For avoiding suppuration, use means with antibiotics that need to be applied to impact zones.
Results of Microneedling Treatment
Analyzing in detail the question: what is derma needling, it is important to mention its significant results. Some of them, such as increased turgor and its radiance, appear within a few days after the session. Other effects, such as the reduction of pores, smoothing of wrinkles and the disappearance of acne, should be waited for 3-4 weeks. They become noticeable when collagen synthesis increases.